Re: Need pics/INFO of Lowered Daks

From: Woodruff, Jason P (jason.p.woodruff@boeing.com)
Date: Mon Sep 20 2004 - 14:08:56 EDT

Well, if you want those drag racing times your going to have to compromise the handling. I assume you'll need the rear end soft for hooking up. This creates a problem in the handling that's hard to compensate for, but here's what I suggest.
Still stiffen up the front as have been mentioned. Front suspension is where most of your good handling comes from anyways, and shouldn't effect your drag times too much. Again, just swapping springs doesn't change the arc swing motion, so your current wheels will still fit. Set up the front camber with as much negative camber as you can stomach. -1deg at least, -1.5 is good, -2deg is better. Don't worry about inside tire wear in front from the camber. If your driving it right, you'll where the outsides down first no matter what.
Sway bars. Get an especially stiff rear sway bar. This will help the soft suspension not roll and push the rear out to match the front (avoids understeer/pushing).
Tires/Rims. In the 12's I assume you'll have racing slicks. So for the street get something nice and sticky. 17x8 or 9 is a good size rims because of all the available sport tires. If the truck turns out to be under 3800lbs and you don't haul much you can get away with passenger tires instead of truck tires. Take note the passenger tires will look small in the wheel wells. Low profile in the front to work with the stiffer suspension. Not so low profile in the rear to work against the soft suspension. 50 or 55 series would be a good compromise for front and rear. Ideally I'd go for 45series in front and 60 in the rear, but it might look a little old skool.
Jay W
505/287 Dakota