Re: Towing questions?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Sep 20 2004 - 21:19:16 EDT

Bill Pitz <dakota@billpitz.com> wrote:

: jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
:> Also, for a real timesaver, be sure to purchase the connector
:> cable with the controller; many late model trucks already have a
:> plug under the dash for a brake controller. Rather than finding
:> wires, splicing, etc. you just plug one end into the brake
:> controller and the other end into the truck. Prices vary, but
:> expect to pay around $15.

: Doesn't that only come included on the truck if you have the towing
: package? Doesn't seem like DC would want to waste the money on that
: unless you were paying extra to have a hitch (or at least the wiring to
: the rear of the truck) to begin with.

   I'm not sure but now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if
that is the case. What you say makes sense, anyway. :-) My only
experience with the plug has been with my '01 Ram 3500 CTD. (Obviously,
that particular vehicle comes standard with the towing package.) :-)
That truck had the plug. I'm not sure what would (or wouldn't) be under
the dash if you don't have a factory towing package. It might have the
plug, but no wires attached to it, just a "pigtail" connection, no plug
at all, etc. If there is a connection there on all trucks, but no
wires hooked to it on the non-tow equipped vehicles, you'd have to
decide if you wanted to use the plug and wire it up like the factory
would have, or just tie into misc. wires like any aftermarket brake
controller would... It would definitely be a good idea to check into
this issue further before ordering and possibly wasting the money on a
connector that you can't use.

   I probably should have suggested that in my orignal response;
good catch, Bill. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'