Re: Towing questions?

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 17:36:08 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> : Doesn't that only come included on the truck if you have the towing
> : package? Doesn't seem like DC would want to waste the money on that
> : unless you were paying extra to have a hitch (or at least the wiring to
> : the rear of the truck) to begin with.

[snip]
> I'm not sure but now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if
> that is the case. What you say makes sense, anyway. :-) My only
> experience with the plug has been with my '01 Ram 3500 CTD. (Obviously,
> that particular vehicle comes standard with the towing package.) :-)
> That truck had the plug. I'm not sure what would (or wouldn't) be under
> the dash if you don't have a factory towing package. It might have the
> plug, but no wires attached to it, just a "pigtail" connection, no plug
> at all, etc. If there is a connection there on all trucks, but no

Right.. seems like having a dummy connector there would be a waste,
since having it there would put you at no greater advantage than not
having it there.

My Dak came with the towing package, and they gave me the adapter with
the truck. (Not sure if that was from the factory, or if the dealer
just gave it to me) It has the connector on one and and bare wires on
the other end to connect to whatever type of brake controller you get.

This actually brings up an interesting issue for me. I probably won't
ever tow anything with electric brakes with my Dak (that's what the CTD
in my future is for.. :) ). I'm wondering what happens to the "output
to trailer brakes" wire once it leaves that connector under the dash.
Logically, it would make sense that it just runs straight back to the
trailer wiring connector. If that's the case, I could use it as a lazy
way of wiring up a switch for some auxiliary backup lights or a light
under my tonneau cover. I've always wanted to do something like that,
but have been too lazy to run new wires just to have a switch in the
cab. Don't know why I never thought of using the brake controller wire
before.

Can anybody confirm that the wire goes directly to the trailer wiring
connector? I'd hate to run some juice through that wire and find out
the hard way that it actually leads somewhere else first :-)

-Bill