Re: I Took A Gen IV For A Spin Today

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 19:30:14 EDT

Terrible Tom wrote:
> That is something I forgot to mention in my review. I specifically
> rorated each of the HVAC knobs to "feel" them. All are vague, loose
> dials that you HAVE to look at to know where you are putting them. YOu
> can't just know where th dial is going by the number of clicks in one
> direction. Intrepid was like this too and that pissed me off. Also - I
> do not like white face insruments either. If I bought a new Ram - I
> would have to find a way to convert them over FROM white face.

I just came back from the local stealer. No '05s there yet.. I suspect
they haven't made their way west yet.

Being that I was off work, done with classes for the week, and it was an
otherwise boring Thursday afternoon, I decided to jerk the sales guy's
chain a little bit. I asked him to see what they had left in the way of
'04s.. Only a few, and nothing that really struck my fancy. (If they
had a blue quad cab sport plus 4x4 I would be writing this post to
describe my new truck) I wandered over and started looking at the
Rams. Found a loaded 1500 QC 4x4 SB Hemi. Looked around inside it,
sales guy asked me if I wanted to drive it, and of course I said yes.
The ride was definitely more refined than my Dakota (which may be
partially because I drive around with my Rancho RS9000's set on 5 or 6).
  I'm still not sure how I feel about that. It made the suspension feel
a lot sofer, which made me feel like I had less control over where the
truck was on the road. The steering also felt a lot different. Does
anyone know if the current Rams have full power steering or
power-assisted steering? That might be the difference.. In my truck, I
feel like there is more response when I turn the wheel.

Considering that the truck had the Hemi, it didn't register as being
that great on the "butt dyno." I stomped it a couple of times (you can
definitely feel a slight throttle lag, not at all like my 4.7) and it
definitely moves but I wasn't blown away by any means. They had an
SRT/10 sitting on the lot but I really didn't want to tempt myself as I
*definitely* cannot afford one of those. :-)

When all was said and done, even though they were trying to give me "all
kinds of great deals" because it's the end of the month and they have
lots of '05 inventory on the way, I was happy when I got back into my
Dakota. I'm sure that the 3/4 ton trucks have a ride that would be much
more to my liking. I was starting to feel bad about making him waste
time giving me the sales pitch, though, so I'll leave that for next time.

-Bill