Re: '05 DML Calendar?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Oct 04 2004 - 23:44:19 EDT

Walt@walt-n-ingrid.com wrote:
[...]
:> CafePress presented a great solution for us in making the Calendar. Jon
:> didn't have to foot the bill for production costs, and didn't have to
:> risk eating the loss if people didn't come through and order one. And
:> the quality of the calendars they produce, are top notch to boot.

: I agree it was a great solution, too bad their people don't understand how
: copyright law really works when it comes to images of this nature. I have 1
: solution that I'm going to look into first before I let the cat out of the bag.
: I may be able to arrange for this to still work via Cafepress if they decide
: they want to play hardball. I'll make a few phone calls and see what I can do.

   I'd definitely be interested to hear about that if you are
able to come up with a solution. I actually did make an effort
to determine if I could jump through the hoops and do it CafePress'
way, which is to obtain permission from DaimlerChrysler.
Unfortunately, its something of a hassle and probably something
that I simply won't have time to do this year due to the impending
deadlines.

   Basically, any picture that you would like to use must be
snail mailed to Chrysler along with a detailed explanation of
its intended use. (Walt, I do have the contact info and
address for this if you would like it.) Since I have never
tried this though, I don't know how long it would take for
this approval process, nor do I know how willing DC is to
grant its approval. Due to the extremely low volume of these
calendars, I was hoping I might be able to obtain some sort of
blanket approval from DC, but their process is for the applicant
to send each and every photo, which just doesn't work real well
with the timeline/voting system we use for the DML Calendar. :-(
My next step is to pick up the phone and try to talk to somebody
over at DC to inquire if such a blanket approval is at all in
the realm of possibility. (Perhaps by putting a limit on the
number of calendars allowed to be sold each year.)

   Extant throughout this whole process of course is the nagging
feeling that there is something inherently wrong with needing to
obtain somebody's permission to take a photo of my truck and sell it
to somebody else. What is this country coming to? (I suppose we
all owe a big sarcastic "thank you" to the trial lawyers...) :-P

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'