Re: '05 DML Calendar?

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 10:55:23 EDT

In article <cjt5aj$ths$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, jon@dakota-truck.net writes:

> I'd definitely be interested to hear about that if you are
> able to come up with a solution. I actually did make an effort
> to determine if I could jump through the hoops and do it CafePress'
> way, which is to obtain permission from DaimlerChrysler.
> Unfortunately, its something of a hassle and probably something
> that I simply won't have time to do this year due to the impending
> deadlines.

I agree, the whole approval process isn't deadline friendly at all, however, I
think that if we are able to set something up initially, we should be able to
maintain it for follow up years. It would probably involve starting the
submittal and voting process earlier than we have done it in the past. What
I'm trying to avoid is setting up a process that with take to the middle of '05
to get approval for an '05 calendar.

> Basically, any picture that you would like to use must be
> snail mailed to Chrysler along with a detailed explanation of
> its intended use. (Walt, I do have the contact info and
> address for this if you would like it.)

Send me what you have off list, don't want 900 people calling/emailing at the
same time. I'm trying to work the issue via my contacts with the New England
Dodge Dealers Association (I've done work with them in the past as president of
Mopars in Motion) and some contacts I have with the marketing company who
handles Dodge's licensing. I don't know if I can make this work but I'm
willing to give it a shot. On a side note: the marketing company also handles
Britney Spears, something I wouldn't mind doing myself. For just a few seconds
;)

> Since I have never
> tried this though, I don't know how long it would take for
> this approval process, nor do I know how willing DC is to
> grant its approval. Due to the extremely low volume of these
> calendars, I was hoping I might be able to obtain some sort of
> blanket approval from DC, but their process is for the applicant
> to send each and every photo, which just doesn't work real well
> with the timeline/voting system we use for the DML Calendar. :-(

Just for my information, how many calendars have we done in the previous years.
 I've been saying <500 to the ears I've already put a bug in, but that was only
a guess on my part. I would like to have some real numbers to use.

> My next step is to pick up the phone and try to talk to somebody
> over at DC to inquire if such a blanket approval is at all in
> the realm of possibility. (Perhaps by putting a limit on the
> number of calendars allowed to be sold each year.)

I've been working the same angle of a limited production. I'm sure that with
licensing, there may be some cost involved that will likely have to be built
into the calendar price.

> Extant throughout this whole process of course is the nagging
> feeling that there is something inherently wrong with needing to
> obtain somebody's permission to take a photo of my truck and sell it
> to somebody else. What is this country coming to? (I suppose we
> all owe a big sarcastic "thank you" to the trial lawyers...) :-P

You know what they say about 10,000 of them at the bottom of the ocean ;) Yet
we keep electing them to public offices.

Walt
http://www.Walt-n-Ingrid.Com