Re: New Charger Pics [Was: What to see Plagiarism? ]

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 14:35:29 EDT

""Jason Bleazard"" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote in message

> > Actually, as long as we're already this far offtopic, there really
aren't
> > too many new designs out there that I do like. Don't get me wrong, I
like
> > angles and edges, but I like curves too and it seems that most
automakers
> > have started to shift away from curves for angles. That's why I like my
> > DAK, it's angular enough yet still has curves to it to soften it a
little.

> Hmmm... naturally everyone has their own tastes. I'm finding the new
> designs refreshing. I was never that crazy about the crop of
> lozenge-shaped cars to begin with. I've even found myself looking at the
> new Fords thinking "that's weird... it's a Ford and the look of it
> actually doesn't make me want to gouge my own eyes out." I always used to
> say that the only thing uglier than this year's Ford was next year's Ford,
> but I don't think I can say that any more.

I would agree with you on the "lozenge" look of previous Fords, they were
sure ugly, but they sold well. I actually really like the new F-Series that
they've put out. I've got a family member that's a die hard Ford fanatic.
He won't buy anything else. Well, he just got a new F-250HD with the
powerstroke, and it's one heck of a nice truck. The interior is a little
bland, but it rides and drives very nice for a truck that's MUCH larger than
my DAK. I've always liked the mustangs, ever since the later fox bodies,
and over the years the SN95's grew on me, but the new 05 Stang just flat out
won me over right away. I do have to say that they did a bangup job on the
thing.

> To bring this post back on topic a bit, I'm finding that I don't hate the
> look of the gen IV Dak, no matter how much I might want to. Not even the
> fat bottom lip. For some reason, the new design works for me. I hate
> what they've done to the off-road capability, but not the look.
> Interestingly, the new Durango definitely does *NOT* strike me as a good
> looking vehicle... I think Dodge took too many Ford lessons on that one.
> I can't explain why I like one and not the other, since they're fairly
> similar. I think it's the van body of the Durango that bugs me.

I've seen a few of the new Dakotas on lots around my work and some of them
look good, but I'm not a big fan of chrome on new cars, so the grille and
bumper would have to be body color for me. Overall, I think they look
"alright" but as Jason suggests, they're growing on me. The durango however
is another story. I mildly liked the publicity shots and sketches, but just
about wretched when I saw the actual vehicle with my own eyes.

> And on the topic of vehicle design... has anyone noticed that if you look
> at a Pacifica from behind it looks like a pregnant animal of some sort?

Something about the Pacifica just rubs me the wrong way and I can't say that
I like the vehicle. On another note, I did see one of the new stretched out
Wranglers the other day and I kinda liked it. It looked a little weird with
the rear of it being so long, but it didn't look bad at all. Kinda caught
me off guard though, I thought to myself "cool jeep.....wait? WTF? that's
one of those new ones! cool."

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L