Re: New Charger Pics [Was: What to see Plagiarism? ]

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 13:53:53 EDT

On Wed, October 6, 2004 12:14 pm, Josh Battles said:

> "Andy Levy" <andy.levy@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> It's no different from a 7-slot grille on a Jeep or the crosshairs on
>> a Dodge grille. That's their "Chevy signature" that goes on every
>> vehicle. Just about every brand does it.

Who started that, anyway? Other than Jeep, I first noticed it back in the
80s on BMWs, way before everyone else caught on. Jeeps have always had
the 7-slot grille, but I don't ever remember them making such a big deal
out of it until the last 10 years or so.

> Actually, as long as we're already this far offtopic, there really aren't
> too many new designs out there that I do like. Don't get me wrong, I like
> angles and edges, but I like curves too and it seems that most automakers
> have started to shift away from curves for angles. That's why I like my
> DAK, it's angular enough yet still has curves to it to soften it a little.

Hmmm... naturally everyone has their own tastes. I'm finding the new
designs refreshing. I was never that crazy about the crop of
lozenge-shaped cars to begin with. I've even found myself looking at the
new Fords thinking "that's weird... it's a Ford and the look of it
actually doesn't make me want to gouge my own eyes out." I always used to
say that the only thing uglier than this year's Ford was next year's Ford,
but I don't think I can say that any more.

To bring this post back on topic a bit, I'm finding that I don't hate the
look of the gen IV Dak, no matter how much I might want to. Not even the
fat bottom lip. For some reason, the new design works for me. I hate
what they've done to the off-road capability, but not the look.
Interestingly, the new Durango definitely does *NOT* strike me as a good
looking vehicle... I think Dodge took too many Ford lessons on that one.
I can't explain why I like one and not the other, since they're fairly
similar. I think it's the van body of the Durango that bugs me.

And on the topic of vehicle design... has anyone noticed that if you look
at a Pacifica from behind it looks like a pregnant animal of some sort?