Re: Siphon gas

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 19:40:45 EDT

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 21:48:15 +0000 (UTC), <jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote:

> I was at a truck stop and I couldn't even get the lever to the
> first indent on the lock without the gas spitting back out
> at me. While I'm filling up, a tractor trailer pulls ino the next
> booth; the driver got out, put the nozzle from the pump on his left
> into the left tank and locked it on full blast, then put the nozzle
> from the pump on his right into the right tank and locked it at full
> blast, and proceeded to wash his windows while he waited for the
> tanks to fill. I'm not sure what his capacity was, but that truck
> could hold just a wee bit of fuel. :-)

typical big truck fuel tanks are around 100-120 gallons per side.... little ones are 80s, a non-notable large size is 140. Some run single 140s-200s, some run twin 200s (those are the ones that look oddly long) and I've seen some trucks with a pair of 100s and then an extra 80 opposite the battery box....

When you don't want to have to fuel every day, drive 500 miles/day at 7MPG, you want a big tank =)

Generally freebies don't start at truckstops until 50 gallons, or 75 at the stingier ones (mainly showers, most will give you coffee if you fuel at all, if they'll give it away at all).

--
Mike Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'98 Dakota SLT CC, 318/46RE/231, D44/Sterling 10.25, 4.10s, 35s on Humvee rims