Re: Rear brake drum problem (cable guide)

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 03:27:23 EDT

On Oct 14, 2004, at 21:18, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Either my cable guide is broken (doesn't look like it) or
> this is one of the most brain-dead engineering decisions I've
> come across in a while (more likely). ;-) Basically the
> problem is that the cable guide is a stamped sheet metal piece
> which has a tiny, tiny extrusion at the back which is supposed
> to go into a hole on the brake shoe, and it would appear that
> the tension on the cable is actually what holds it in place.

I think what I've seen in designs similar to that is the edge of that
little tab peened over so it catches on the back side of the shoe.

I'm not familiar with the layout of the brakes on a 9.25" though so it
could be something slightly different.

In general, I just spend the extra $15 on a brake hardware kit whenever
I replace shoes since it's my experience to always fine one of those
damn springs broken somewhere =)

I doubt the design changed from '84 up, so maybe I'll pull a drum
tomorrow and see what I can see as far as what keeps those cable guides
in position. On the other hand, I might not like what I find since my
Ram's brakes seem to be going downhill - though that probably means the
tension in the rears isn't what it should be.... might explain why I
lock up the fronts so easily in a hard stop (like tonight on the way
into a traffic jam in the rain =\ )

--
Mike Maskalans   <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'98 Dakota SLT 318 4x4                    SFA & 35s