Re: Bad battery?

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 12:13:50 EDT

Bill Knight wrote:
> I think my battery has just died on me. Not sure if it is original or not.
> Went out last night and the truck barely started. Drove about 10 miles to
> Wal-Mart and was inside for about 45 minutes. Came back out and barely
> started again. Went to the truck after work and the voltmeter showed
> 10.1Volts. Ran the truck for about 15 minutes with the lights running and
> the whole time the meter was at 13.9 Volts. Shut it off left lights on high
> and had 9.1 Volts in less than 2 minutes. I'm sure the battery is shot,
> just looking for second opinions. TIA Included links to a couple pictures,
> the plates are visible but not sure if it is enough. Been awhile since I've
> looked at plates. Thinking of a cheapy battery until I have the money for
> an Optima or Die Hard.

That definitely sounds like a bad battery to me. If you don't have the
money for an Optima now, try throwing a cheap battery at it to confirm
that it's really the problem. Based on the fact that your voltage comes
up when you get the truck running, I'd say that it's just your battery.

What I like about my Optima is that I don't have to think about my
battery failing anymore. The only time I even really think about my
battery is when I open the hood and see the red battery and when we get
into battery discussions here on the DML.

-Bill