Re: nother newbie question

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 21:46:36 EST

On 11/7/2004 9:28 PM, Matt Sweeney wrote:

| Okay, I have a 2004 SXT 4x4, club cab, 3.7L V6, 5 speed. All the
| documentation states that it has a 22 gallon tank. I've let it go till
| the guage reads empty and the low fuel light is on, then run it another
| 15 - 20 miles and the most it ever takes is 16 gallons. I have the dash
| that only has 2 guages (temp and fuel). Is it possible the guage isn't
| working or are there just 6 more gallons past E and low fuel light? Or
| is it a 16 gallong tank?

The low fuel light is *very* conservative. My low fuel light comes on
at between 40 and 50 miles left until empty per the overhead console
computer. However, doing the math based on actual fuel mileage and the
24 gallon tank in my QC, I could theoretically drive about 20 miles
*past* where the computer says 0 miles to empty. HOWEVER, read on...

| I'm going to be taking into the dealer for its first service soon and
| want to get as much info as I can prior to that. Is this kind of gas
| guage behaviour common?

See above

| Will I do any harm to the truck if I run it
| empty.

Just once, or regularly? Running dry is never good. Ignoring the low
fuel light regularly is double-plus ungood. Your fuel pump resides
inside the tank, and is lubricated and cooled by the fuel itself. Run
low and the pump will get warm, and will not be well-lubed. Result:
premature fuel pump failure. It's just easier to fill the tank when it
asks for more gas.

| I'm thinking of taking a 5 gallon can and driving till it
| actually runs out.

To what end? To figure out how many miles you can go? Instead, just
track your gas mileage using the time-tested pencil & paper "fill up
tank every time, miles driven divided by gallons pumped" method. Then
take that number (your MPG), multiply by 18, and use that as your miles
possible.

I say 18 because you want a safety margin.

- --
- -andy

        -Bob Tom