Re: RE: doo bee doo bee doooo...

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 15:58:25 EST

""Travis Bailey"" <dusterrt@msn.com> wrote in message

> I've found what works wonders is a white rubber eraser. There was some
wax
> worked into some rubber trim type stuff around my windshield, looked like
> crap, an eraser got rid of it. Tried all kinds of cleaners and chemicals,
> scrubbing them in with toothbrushes and scotch brite pads, and the eraser
> turned it into a quick and easy task. But speaking of which..I've been
> using Meguiars NXT wax. Kinda pricey but it doesn't seem to leave a
residue
> on black plasic and rubber. Of course I don't have much of either on my
> truck..
>
> Travis
> '92 Dak 5.2 4x4

SSSSSHHHHHH!!!! That's a secret! I've been using pencil erasers on trim
for years. They get all the wax residue or whatever off without a hitch but
over time they abrade the surface away little bits at a time. Of course,
the best way to prevent getting wax on the trim in the first place is to
paint it, be more careful, or use better detailing products that don't leave
a residue.

How does that NXT wax work? I've seen it on the shelf but I can't bring
myself to switch from the P21S Carnuba I've been using for years. As a
bonus it doesn't leave any residue on your textured trim. Every spring I'll
usually layer about 5 or 6 coats (over as many weeks) over a good cleaner
wax that's used to strip everything off (I use Klasse all-in-one) and
that'll take me through until almost the next summer, depending on how dirty
it gets between washings. Also, carnuba is the only wax that will hide your
swirlmarks, and believe me with the dark truck I have, there are plenty of
swirlmarks, but you don't see them at all because of the high-quality
carnuba wax. For a quick cleanup, you can get those "quick detailer" sprays
in a carnuba variant as well.

For those who have seen my truck, they can attest to how "pretty" it looks
when it's clean, so believe me this stuff works. I actually had some people
in my condo complex stop what they were doing and come over from the other
side of the parking lot just to ask me how I got my truck to look that good.
It's a *LOT* of work, but even dirty, it has more depth to it than some
people's cars do clean. YMMV.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L