Re: Amplifier Opinions...

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 10:04:34 EST

""Tom "Slick" North"" <prodog@swbell.net> wrote in message

> Hey Everybody...
>
> I picked up a little Kicker 8" L5 Solobaric subwoofer recently, and am
> trying to decide what brand amplifier to go with... I haven't really kept
up
> with who makes the best equipment for the right price for the last couple
of
> years...
>
> The subwoofer power handling is 600 peak, 300 RMS...
> It's the dual, 2-ohm voice coil model... Can be run in parallel (1-ohm)
or
> series (4-ohm)
>
> I would like to run about 200-250 watts RMS through the sub...
>

> Here is the question... In your opinion, what brands are good and are
> reasonably priced nowadays?
>
> This is for my 96 Dakota, so it is Dakota content... He he he!
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Tom "Slick" North

Personally, I'd wire the sub to run in parallel at the 1-ohm load because
you'll be able to get more out of the amplifier that way. The only problem
with this is that you have to make sure your amp is 1-ohm stable, as not all
amps are.

Back when I did my sub about a year and a half ago, I picked up a 1-ohm
stable 1000w rms Kenwood class-d mono sub amp for about $300 from my local
car audio shop. I'm sure you could find something in the 300 - 500 w rms
range for about $150 - $200 if you're motivated enough to shop around. The
most important thing is to listen to the sound that they produce and find
something that will give you not only the sound you desire, but the tone
you're looking for.

This isn't my first Kenwood amp and it probably won't be my last, I've
always been reasonably happy with their performance, and they're not really
all that expensive. I'd also take a look at US Acoustics, PPI, Soundstream,
and maybe even Kicker's line of amps. I haven't been in the market for any
car audio gear for a while, but if I was, these brands would be where I'd
start if i was looking for reasonable priced. (Okay, maybe the PPI and
Soundstream aren't reasonable priced, but they're quality none-the-less.)

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L