Re: DML 10th Anniversary National Meet

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Nov 19 2004 - 13:25:58 EST

On Fri, November 19, 2004 10:51 am, Jason Bleazard said:

> The Debian project once wrote a script to figure out the "center" of where
> all their developers were located in order to coordinate bug squashing
> parties. All you do is key in the lattitude and longitude of all the
> members, and it figures out the most central spot and even draws it on a
> map for you. It's kind of cool. If anyone is interested I'll see if I
> can dig up the information.

Okay, I'm going to reply to my own post. Curiosity got the better of me,
so I looked up the info anyway.
http://www.debian.org/devel/developers.loc
http://people.debian.org/~edward/globe/average/

I know Jon was working on a map at one point of where the list members
were, but it was kind of a maintenance headache. It should be pretty easy
to adapt the information found above to automatically generate a map of
DML members and figure out the most central location. I'm not
knowledgable in the ways of web forms, but it seems like it shouldn't be
too much trouble where someone could fill in their location on a web form
and it would tack it on to the end of a text file. The cool thing about
the maps above is that it just reads through a text file of coordinates
and makes a pretty map showing where everyone is.