Re: Geographical Center of the US - was 10th Anniversary Meet

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 10:43:29 EST

On Sun, November 21, 2004 8:43 pm, Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com said:

> Personally, I liked the South Dakota suggestion better myself but Denver
> is a consideration.

I'm up for either of those. I've driven through Denver and spent some
time there on various occasions. It's a nice town, but it is pretty much
just another huge city. If we got, say, 50 miles just outside of Denver
we could find some pretty amazing scenery.

A few random thoughts (didn't save all the appropriate messages to reply
to)...

Definitely we should find some place with a drag strip nearby, if at all
possible. There are as many racers as off-roaders, but I think those of
us who attend the BBQ every year have gotten used to having off-road
events.

As for the off-roading, I doubt anyone (anyone sane, anyway) is going to
want to do anything real serious when they're facing a 1500 mile drive
back home. The nice thing about the West is that it's covered with old
logging and mining roads that are dirt and scenic, but don't really
require the use of 4 wheel drive. I'd be all for taking a nice relaxing
scenic drive where there's virtually no chance of breaking anything that
far from home.

I also vote for camping. KOA is everywhere, unless we can find something
even better. They're usually relatively close to towns that would have
motels for anyone not interested in camping.

For the duration, I'd say we'd want at least a week, if not two
consecutive weekends plus the weekdays in between. It wouldn't be
necessary to stay for the whole event if you can't make it. If you can
make only a day or two in the middle, great! In our case, Norah and I
would probably take the opportunity to head over to Salt Lake City as long
as we're that close for our annual family visit that year. I'm thinking
it would replace our Christmas trip for that year, so we'd make a big trip
out of it.

> Also, depending on if/when we put this
> together, it would have impact on whether I attend the ’05 BBQ. I’m
> personally
> for relocating the BBQ event for a year. Not that I don’t like Jon’s
> place, but
> two events in a short period of time would not be feasible for some.

Walt, you do know that we're planning on the summer of '06, right? The
idea is definitely that this will replace the BBQ that summer.