Re: Geographical Center of the US - was 10th Anniversary Meet

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 11:51:07 EST

In article <22460.199.64.0.252.1101138209.squirrel@janor.ath.cx>,
dml@bleazard.net ("Jason Bleazard") writes:

> Definitely we should find some place with a drag strip nearby, if at all
> possible. There are as many racers as off-roaders, but I think those of
> us who attend the BBQ every year have gotten used to having off-road
> events.

According to the NHRA website, Bandimere Speedway (http://www.bandimere.com) is
in the Denver area. IHRA doesn't list any member tracks in Colorado.

> As for the off-roading, I doubt anyone (anyone sane, anyway) is going to
> want to do anything real serious when they're facing a 1500 mile drive
> back home. The nice thing about the West is that it's covered with old
> logging and mining roads that are dirt and scenic, but don't really
> require the use of 4 wheel drive. I'd be all for taking a nice relaxing
> scenic drive where there's virtually no chance of breaking anything that
> far from home.

I'm still researching what trails are available. http://www.4x4trails.net has
a number of CO trails listed that are >5 out of 10 in dificulty. I just need
to research where they are in relation to the Denver area and see if any are
nearby.

> I also vote for camping. KOA is everywhere, unless we can find something
> even better. They're usually relatively close to towns that would have
> motels for anyone not interested in camping.

KOA lists a campground East Denver
http://www.koakampgrounds.com/where/co/06124/index.htm

Walt
http://www.Walt-n-Ingrid.Com