Re: Geographical Center of the US - was 10th Anniversary Meet

From: Dave Downing (ddowning@nosc.mil)
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 12:10:12 EST

I lived in Denver for two years, well Aurora technically, but it's a suburb
of Denver. There are tons of trails within an hour drive of Denver that a
stock Dakota can handle. I used to go out with my '93 4x4 with just 31" BFG
AT's and never had any problems (on the right trails of course). Like Jason
said, there's all kinds of old mining and logging roads that everyone could
drive down, and then there are sideroads all over the place that the more
adventurous guys can try out for a lil more of a challenge. I've got a few
trailbooks for CO, but they're in storage.

--
Dave Downing
'02 FR RC R/T

'93 Cherokee - daily driver Stock...for now ;)

<Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com> wrote in message news:cnt5dr$uho$1@bent.twistedbits.net... > > In article <22460.199.64.0.252.1101138209.squirrel@janor.ath.cx>, > dml@bleazard.net ("Jason Bleazard") writes: > >> Definitely we should find some place with a drag strip nearby, if at all >> possible. There are as many racers as off-roaders, but I think those of >> us who attend the BBQ every year have gotten used to having off-road >> events. > > According to the NHRA website, Bandimere Speedway > (http://www.bandimere.com) is > in the Denver area. IHRA doesn't list any member tracks in Colorado. > >> As for the off-roading, I doubt anyone (anyone sane, anyway) is going to >> want to do anything real serious when they're facing a 1500 mile drive >> back home. The nice thing about the West is that it's covered with old >> logging and mining roads that are dirt and scenic, but don't really >> require the use of 4 wheel drive. I'd be all for taking a nice relaxing >> scenic drive where there's virtually no chance of breaking anything that >> far from home. > > I'm still researching what trails are available. http://www.4x4trails.net > has > a number of CO trails listed that are >5 out of 10 in dificulty. I just > need > to research where they are in relation to the Denver area and see if any > are > nearby. > >> I also vote for camping. KOA is everywhere, unless we can find something >> even better. They're usually relatively close to towns that would have >> motels for anyone not interested in camping. > > KOA lists a campground East Denver > http://www.koakampgrounds.com/where/co/06124/index.htm > > Walt > http://www.Walt-n-Ingrid.Com