Re: Recomendations for frame Restoration, Need Help.

From: Gary Hedlin (garyhedlin@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 22:17:37 EST

Hmmm... Talk about a tough decision! :)

I have talked to many people about this, since im going to do a frame off on
the 98 next summer. First of, both POR-15 and powder coating are excellent
ways to prevent rust. If you take care of the vehicle, both will protect
nicely. One advantage POR-15 has though is cost. A gallon of it runs about
$100, and can do a frame easily. If you can spray it yourself, it would be
the cheaper of the two. But I would HIGHLY recommend taking the frame to a
professional sandblaster to get it properly prepped. A friend of mine had
a frame for a 72 torino sandblasted for about $75.

On the other hand, powder coating is what some would call the next level.
It protects very nicely, and has a VERY nice & smooth finish. Its ideal for
show cars. So if you plan on making the truck a garage dweller that only
comes out for shows, I would go this route. Usually a place that powder
coats stuff will sandblast the frame too. But, before you commit to this
ask many questions to many people.....only way you'll be sure you're getting
your moneys worth!

So in a nutshell, the real question is if you want to have the frame look
nice, or have some money to put towards other aspects of the truck?

--

Gary Hedlin www.garyhedlin.com 2005 Dakota SLT CC 4.7 5spd 1998 Dakota Sport RC 3.9