Recomendations for frame Restoration, Need Help.

From: TJ Goettner (dakota52318@toad.net)
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 21:08:23 EST

I will be getting underway with restoring the frame on my 4wd to 2wd
conversion after I finish getting the suspension seperated from it. I have
a few options so far, if you all could look over them and tell me what you
think, or add to it, it would really help me a lot!!!

1-Do it myself, buying most of the equip, using my dads compressor. I dont
know what to use as a paint to stop the rust and seal the frame though,
thats the biggest dilema. I was looking at something like Eastwoods "rust
encapsulator paint" or POR-15, and painting that chassis black. Also Zinc
plating all of the hardware to prevent and stop the rust.

2-Not sure of this one, but a place I talked to said they could spray the
frame with a Zinc Powder Coat, which would seal and protect nicely and then
powder coat the color I wanted. Frame and suspension parts for $800-900. I
just dont know enough about this to know for sure that this would stop the
rust for good, they would sand blast the frame prior to coating though.

I need the advice of you body shop people, I just dont know enough or have
any experience in this area to make an educated decision, I want to make
sure what I do is right!!!
Thanks so much guys for the help, cant wait to get this thing done!!!

TJ
http://forums.atvconnection.com/Photos.cfm?ID=2972
dakota52318@toad.net
1992 Dakota