Re: DML 10th Anniversary National Meet

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 08:49:15 EST

On November 26, 2004 08:17 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> I wonder if we should just collect a huge list of things we could
> do and post them on one of those free "poll" type web sites so that
> we could get an idea about what people want to do? Then try to
> find a location based on that? Picking a location first and then
> looking around for things to do at that location is easier, but
> what do you use to choose the location in the first place? :-)

Interesting idea. If anyone has anything specific they want to do, be sure to
let us know. As far as the general stuff that's been mentioned, I'd think we
could find that pretty much anyplace. Seems like the country is becoming
generic enough that you tend to find a lot of the same kinds of things
everywhere you go, in a general sense, anyway. Like, not everywhere has the
Buffalo Bill Museum, but any sizeable city will have museums and historical
sites. We accidentally found a pretty cool Pony Express museum in The Middle
of Nowhere, Wyoming when driving across one year.

> - Shooting ranges?

I'd be up for that, as long as it was at an organized range. It's permissible
to just go out and set up targets anywhere on public land out west, but when
I'm going with people I've never been shooting with, I prefer to take them to
a range first. Just me.

>    - There might be some things we can do at "base camp", assuming of
>      course that we do decide to camp in a group and thus actually
>      *have* a "base camp".  Things like lawn jenga, possibly things like
>      "capture the flag", or paintball, etc?

I personally think having a base camp where we can all congregate as a group
should be pretty high on the priority list. Most campgrounds will have
provisions for group camping as long as you call them far enough in advance.

> At this point, I kind of like the
> challenge of camping for the entire event supported just by what I
> can carry on my back.

We did some camping in British Columbia a few years back using a rental
Durango and whatever equipment we could take with us on the airline. It
worked out pretty well, although we did have to take the smaller tent.
Obviously we had to buy all of our propane and fire starters locally once we
got there. We had a small stove burner that sat on top of the propane
bottle. No problem taking just the stove on the plane when it was new, but
once it had been used and it had been exposed to propane, they wouldn't let
it back on as there might have still been some residue on it. We had to mail
our stove back home :-P.

> Hehehe!  In front of your travel trailer no doubt?

But of course :-) Wouldn't want to under-use the capacity, now would we?

> I haven't done much camping so I probably don't have an accurate
> mental picture, but I am picturing any place that would have hookups
> to look sort of like a mobile home park, lots of pavement, trailers
> packed in there, screaming kids...  :-)

Not necessarily, although it can happen. This is part of the reason I'm
thinking we need to get all of us together in a group, so we push other
people's screaming kids out of the campground as much as possible.

The place we lived during September 2003 was quite pleasant. A lot of the RV
crowd are seniors, and they tend to be pretty quiet.