Re: DML 10th Anniversary National Meet

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 15:52:55 EST

Jason Bleazard wrote:
> On November 26, 2004 08:17 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> Interesting idea. If anyone has anything specific they want to do, be sure to
> let us know. As far as the general stuff that's been mentioned, I'd think we
> could find that pretty much anyplace. Seems like the country is becoming
> generic enough that you tend to find a lot of the same kinds of things
> everywhere you go, in a general sense, anyway. Like, not everywhere has the
> Buffalo Bill Museum, but any sizeable city will have museums and historical
> sites. We accidentally found a pretty cool Pony Express museum in The Middle
> of Nowhere, Wyoming when driving across one year.
>

>> - Shooting ranges?
>

> I'd be up for that, as long as it was at an organized range. It's permissible
> to just go out and set up targets anywhere on public land out west, but when
> I'm going with people I've never been shooting with, I prefer to take them to
> a range first. Just me.

I like all of the ideas that have been mentioned so far. I'm also
definitely up for the shooting range idea. Maybe once we had some time
at the range to get a feel for everyone, we could find somewhere else to
set up as well. I know that I always have more fun shooting out in the
middle of nowhere than I do at a range. If nothing else, it's easier to
stop and rearrange your targets and such.

>> Hehehe! In front of your travel trailer no doubt?
>
> But of course :-) Wouldn't want to under-use the capacity, now would we?

In that case, you better start looking for a nice big 5th wheel with
multiple slide-outs. :-)

>>I haven't done much camping so I probably don't have an accurate
>>mental picture, but I am picturing any place that would have hookups
>>to look sort of like a mobile home park, lots of pavement, trailers
>>packed in there, screaming kids... :-)
>

> Not necessarily, although it can happen. This is part of the reason I'm
> thinking we need to get all of us together in a group, so we push other
> people's screaming kids out of the campground as much as possible.

Yeah, it depends. I have been RV camping a few times and have seen both
extremes. If we can get at least 30 or 40 of us together, I think we
will be able to take over at least an area of just about every
campground we could find. I like the idea of the Denver area
personally, but definitely understand that it isn't really "fair" to
everyone who lives on the east coast (and there are a lot more people
out that way who have expressed interest... speak up west coast people,
damnit! :) ). Something further east is fine with me as long as there
is enough to do, but I will probably fly if that's the case.

-Bill