Re: DML 10th Anniversary National Meet

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 17:48:13 EST

On Mon, November 29, 2004 2:52 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net said:

> I don't know what you're talking about... I AM CAPTAIN SEATBELT!!!
> Oh hey, can I start the bonfire? ;-)

I think we're going to need bigger fireworks :-).

> I'm going to have to go out and see if I can locate a couple in
> my area. Ummm, if I ever have any spare time! I like Walt's idea
> of starting a DML Geocache. :-)

Maybe a travel bug? Use a small die-cast Dakota or something. Apparently
Jeep has a bunch of die-cast Jeeps roving around the country from one
geocache to another. Somehow you can enter a contest to win a real Jeep,
but I didn't get the details. I'm not sure if you have to find one of
their bugs, or just give them your contact info so they can spam you.

> Yep, I was referring to backpacking. What sort of permits would you
> need? I've never done this so it didn't occur to me that you might need
> a permit? I figured there would be enough public land out there that we
> could go pretty much anywhere without worrying too much.

I've never needed any kind of permit to camp on public land. If you're
going to be inside a national or state park, you might. It's something to
keep in mind and check in to, depending on where you'd be going.
Personally, I think I'll leave the backpacking to others. I didn't spend
all that money on the trailer so I could sleep on the ground :-). By all
means, if a group of people want to do some backpacking, have a great
time.

> Unfortunately, unless we end up in Utah, I'll have to leave
> my .45 at home, so that isn't an option.

Actually, you can bring the .45, you just can't *conceal* it. Obviously
you'd have to put it in the checked luggage on the flight, I'm not sure
how much of a pain that would be.

As far as carrying it out west, as long as you're not walking around town
with it visibly strapped to your hip, I can't imagine getting any hassles
over it. I have a hip holster for my 9mm, and any time I ever wore it out
in the sticks I never even saw anyone who might have hassled me over it.
It's worth looking in to the transport and carry regulations.

Keep in mind that's based on my experience in Utah, each state will
probably be different. I'm guessing Colorado is pretty similar.

> another option might possibly be something like a
> survival carbine which would fall into the long guns category and
> those generally aren't as heavily regulated. Unfortunately, those
> types of guns are usually very small caliber, so not much use against
> something like a bear.

I think I've seen those in .45 ACP as well. The idea is you can use the
same magazines from your sidearm.