Re: Finally cought up with the DML

From: J Wynia (jwynia@pragmapool.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 10:46:28 EST

Andy Levy wrote:

>Don't necessarily need a panoramic camera, there's lots of software
>now that'll stitch photos together and make panoramas. Some of them
>work purely on matching outlines of objects, which would make a DML
>panorama tough (all the trucks are the same shape, so it would just
>overlap), but I've had luck with the program I use. Thought I had a
>Foxwoods pic online to demonstrate but I can't seem to find it right
>now.

I do this all of the time. Just set the camera on a tripod and shoot
each shot with, say 1/3 overlap, working from left to right. Photoshop
Elements will stitch them together with little effort.

If the line ends up being fairly long, the alternative technique that
will result in better results will be to move the camera on a tripod
along a parallel line to the line of trucks. Still overlap each shot as
that's what makes the stitching effortless. This method works better
because there won't be as much (or any if you do it right) distortion of
the trucks on the ends of the picture. Also make sure you leave plenty
of room in the frame above and below the trucks as sometimes the
panoramic process requires cropping to ensure that you keep a
rectangular image.

The other thing that people often miss in doing this is to set the
camera's settings to manual and set them once for the whole long shot.
Otherwise, the frames with white trucks and those with black trucks will
end up with different exposures and not match.