Re: DML 10th Anniversary National Meet

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 12:38:45 EST

"Jason Bleazard" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
[...]
: Here's my idea. We should do our base camp at an organized campground,
: KOA or something along those lines. Make sure we have 24 hour access to
: come and go as we please (some of them have security gates, especially
: near metro areas). When we want to sit around a bonfire and be loud and
: obnoxious, head for the hills and find an empty spot to do so. Then when
: we get tired, we don't have to camp right there, we head back to base
: camp. The drawback is we'll need designated drivers. Or, anyone who is
: so inclined could even pitch tents right there, sleep off whatever has
: been consumed, then head back to base camp to shower and clean up. Just
: because we aren't camping out in the boonies doesn't mean we can't go
: there to visit.

   Hmmmm, I like that idea a lot! This would give us all the creature
comforts of home at "base camp", then we can have a sort of "mobile
base camp" if we want to go out and do some hiking, offroading, have
a bonfire, whatever. Good call.

   As far as designated drivers go, since I don't drink, we've got at
least one... ;-)

: Naturally we'd have to answer the question of access to public land first.

  Yep. I've been doing a *little* bit of research about this, just in
passing, though I need to do more. I was able to find lists of national
parks, national forests, etc. but didn't see anything with public land.
Probably once we figure out where we will end up, we can find some paper
maps that show the public land in the area.

: My experience is based on Utah, I'm assuming Colorado is similar. No
: idea about any of the other states that have been suggested. I haven't
: seen any wide open expanses of public land where you can just go out and
: camp wherever you please in states like New York (maybe there are and I
: missed them).

   Yep, there are - actually there is one about 10 minutes south of me.
(Though most of the areas I have seen aren't open land, usually overgrown
forests, but its the same concept.) They call it "state land" around here.
We get quite a few requests through the realty office here for people who
are looking for recreational land that butts up against state land, because
they can buy a 2 acre piece and essentially have access to hundreds of acres
for hiking, ATVing, hunting, etc.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'