Re: DML 10th Anniversary National Meet

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 15:01:18 EST

On Dec 3, 2004, at 12:38, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> : My experience is based on Utah, I'm assuming Colorado is similar.
> No
> : idea about any of the other states that have been suggested. I
> haven't
> : seen any wide open expanses of public land where you can just go out
> and
> : camp wherever you please in states like New York (maybe there are
> and I
> : missed them).
>

> Yep, there are - actually there is one about 10 minutes south of me.
> (Though most of the areas I have seen aren't open land, usually
> overgrown
> forests, but its the same concept.) They call it "state land" around
> here.
> We get quite a few requests through the realty office here for people
> who
> are looking for recreational land that butts up against state land,
> because
> they can buy a 2 acre piece and essentially have access to hundreds of
> acres
> for hiking, ATVing, hunting, etc.

actually in NYS you can't really do anything fun on state land. we've
been getting excessively annoyed at this in my 4x4 club (mudnuts.org) -
the only motorized activity that's allowed on new york state land is
snowmobiling (and there are posted areas for sleds, too). Most
counties are the same way with their land. So pretty much you can
hike, bike and ride horseback in the summer and that's it. I'm not
sure what regs are on camping.... we're working on ways to change
this, but it'll be a hard fight.

--
Mike Maskalans   <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'98 Dakota SLT 318 4x4                    SFA & 35s