RE: Engine Bay Paint

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Sat Dec 04 2004 - 10:04:36 EST

James,
I have used over 2 gallons of POR15 on several vehicles and and a number of
other POR products. I find them to be excellent materials.

My experience is that POR15 it infact does level out to be a very smooth and
shiny finish. My discription would not be that it looks sprayed but more like
it looks dipped. The stuff takes a long time to dry and tends to collect in low
areas and along edges. A lot will drip off so apply it over something that you
do not mind getting it on.

My experience with it peeling off unrusted metal was the control arms of my 68
Barracuda. When I was rebuilding the front end I sand blasted them to bear
metal and painted with POR15. It is peeling off in a number of places with in
months of putting them back on the car. I also painted a couple of small patch
panels used to fix some rust damage and it peeled off it after it had been
roughed up with 220 grit paper.

My experience with POR15 over painted metal was with a 89 Dodge Daytona that
was starting to rust at the weld joint between the firewall and floor. I had
cleaned the area and sanded the unrusted painted surfaces. The POR15 peeled
within months on the painted areas and was still holding up well on the rusted
areas when I sold the car.

Some positive testimonials;

The inside surface of the trunk of my Brracuda was almost completely surface
rusted. I cleaned and painted with PO15 primed with their primer and painted
with the Sub-lime paint I painted the car with. It's been 4.5 years since the
paint job and it's still holding. Also, the rusted metal under the car was
coated with POR15 and it's still holding up perfectly.

I have a metal bulked and metal stairs into my basement. From the time I
purchased the house I was wire brushing and painting with Rustoleum every year.
About 7 years ago I used POR15, primed with POR primer and painted with
hardware store enamel. Not a spec of rust has appeared, I have worn the enamel
off the steps but the POR15 is still intact.

On my 89 Dakota I had developed some rust around the window gasket. I removed
the gasket and painted with gloss black POR15 (truck was black) as a temporary
fit until I could remove the windsheild and fix it properly. I never did get
around to it and the POR15 was on there for about 5 years ubntil I sold the
truck. Here is a case of the POR15 being exposed to sunlight. When fist applied
it was hardly noticable against the black of the truck. With in a month the
gloss started to fad and within 6 months it looked like flat black paint.
However, it never failed and the rust never came back.

If you check out my web page http://mysite.verizon.net/david.clement/index.html
The engine was painted with silver POR15 then topcoated with POR's hemi orange
engine enamel. 4.5 years and 30k miles the engine paint has lost some of it's
gloss but still looks like the picture, no rust, no peeling. Also, the headers
were coated with POR20 exhaust paint. The picture on the web page was after 10k
miles.

I am very much a fan of POR products but I feel there is a better way to detail
you engine compartment than with POR15. NOTE: POR15 does not last long in the
can after it's opened. I purchase it in pints or 1/2 pints so I use a whole can
on a project. If I do not use a hole can I place a piece of heavey weight poly
like a freezer bag over the can before putting the lid on then store the can
upside down. That way you won't have a thick skin to break through the next
time you use it. Also, get bottle of there thinner. It's about the only thing
that you can use to clean it off your hands. If it drys on your hands it has to
wear off so you are best off using rubber gloves. The store where I purchase
mine even gives you a pair of gloves with each purchase.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4