Re: FRS radios

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 17:01:23 EST

On Dec 6, 2004, at 14:20, Mr. Plow wrote:

> So does the increased power translate into an increase in range?

definitely. don't know if it's really proportional, but range on a
GMRS is definitely better than FRS. usually the handheld GMRS are 1
watt units, or at least they were a couple years ago. I'm seeing them
for sale in many more locations now so I'm not sure if the tech has
advanced to allow 2w handheld units with decent portability and battery
life yet.

my base station doesn't tell me what it will transmit at.... I only
know that it has low (FRS-legal) and hi (GMRS-legal) power settings.
An Amazon spec page claims it only transmits at 300mW (.3W) which
strikes me as odd - but I'm too lazy to dig up the owner's manual.
That might explain why it's performance was mediocre in it's intended
campus use, though....

--
Mike Maskalans   <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'98 Dakota SLT 318 4x4                    SFA & 35s