Re: broadband availibility

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 09:45:40 EST

"Michael Maskalans" <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote in message

> if you can see 4 with no encryption, you're paying $40+/month for your
> own broadband.... why?

Mine's faster. I've got a 4mb line with 802.11g capabilities. I highly
doubt that my neighbors have that kind of speed on their connection, not to
mention that I'm the only one using g. Every other AP in range is only
running b. Oh yeah, did I neglect to mention the other 3 computers that are
running (wired) on the network? If I was stealing it I'd have to go full
wireless and I'm sure someone would notice then. I use a LOT of bandwidth.
(the first rule of usenet is: you don't talk about usenet)

> dak content: I can wardrive in my Dakota. I haven't, but I could.

I could too. Just a little usage here and there has shown me how many APs
are out there already. I can't speak for their security, but they're out
there and there's lots of hotspots around my work, just none IN my work. :-(

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L