RE: Feds Urge Dodge to Make Recall for Ball Joints

From: josh@stolarz.org
Date: Sun Dec 12 2004 - 07:01:47 EST

It looks like they are taking 2wd's into consideration. I know I had my uppers
done at 34k by the dealer because they said they were shot. As soon as I turned
out of the lot, I heard the new ones popping as I was turning away.. Also there
focusing the blame towards corrosion is BS, it has nothing to do with
corrosion, my never saw road salt (until this month), as it's spent it's life
in the south....

Josh

Press Release Source: Chrysler Group

Chrysler Group Recalls Dodge Durangos, Dakotas to Replace Ball Joints
Friday December 10, 6:05 pm ET
* Company will replace front suspension upper ball joints on approximately
600,000 2000-2003.5 MY Dodge Durango 4x4 SUVs and Dodge Dakota Pickups * An
additional 400,000 4x2 SUVs and Pickups in the same model years to be covered
with extended 10 year/100,000 mile warranty

AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Dec. 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Chrysler Group will
recall approximately 600,000 Model Year 2000-2003.5 Dodge Durango 4x4 SUVs and
Dodge Dakota pickup trucks to replace front suspension upper ball joints that
may be subject to progressive wear.

In addition, to alleviate potential customer concerns, the company will extend
the warranty to 10 years or 100,000 miles on the suspension upper ball joints
on an additional 400,000 MY2000-2003.5 Durango and Dakota 4x2 vehicles.

Repairs will be made at no cost to owners. Owners of vehicles covered by this
action who have previously paid for the repair will be reimbursed by Chrysler
Group.

Chrysler Group's internal investigation has shown that the front suspension
upper ball joints on some vehicles may be subject to corrosion and progressive
wear. If this condition is ignored for an extended period of time, it could
lead to front end noise, tire wear, and in extreme cases separation of the
front suspension. There have been no substantiated reports of injuries
associated with this condition on these vehicles.

Owners will be notified of the action by letter beginning later this month.

Source: Chrysler Group