180 t-stat trips code

From: A. S. (adakota4x4@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 13 2004 - 20:10:19 EST

  I switched to a 180 t-stat a few months back when I replaced the waterpump
on my truck. Today has been about the coldest the truck has seen since the
swap. It was about 31 degrees or so outside when I left work. I got on the
highway about a mile and a half down the road. The truck was warm enough to
go into overdrive, but the check engine light came on. The temp gauge
wasn't quite to the normal range when I got on the highway.
  I assumed it was a code due to the t-stat. I checked when I got home and
found a code 17 (Engine does not reach 50 degrees F within 5 minutes with a
vehicle speed signal. Engine does not reach operating temperature within
acceptable limits).
  The truck is garaged overnight, so that might be why I have seen the code
in the cold weather of the early morning.
  My question is, should I be concerned with the light? Should I just keep
clearing it til spring? The engine seems to be coming up to acceptable
range according to the guage in the truck (I know...poor excuse for a
guage).
Thanks.
--Aaron--
95 DSRC 4x4 V6