Re: Hey Maskalans...

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 06:49:11 EST

I agree; the tech schools pumped out way too many paper MCSEs over the last few
years. In addition to the fact that many were not properly trained for they
were taught how to take the certification test and not the material covered by
the tests. Because many of the “schools” are private training facilities, they
don’t have to meet up to the same standards as accredited learning intuitions.
I have a very good friend who went to a very well known tech school in this
area to get his MCSE. He was given a booklet with about 400-600 questions and
answers in it; spent a few weeks memorizing them then took his tests. He told
me that every question on the tests were in his booklet and now he’s certified
after spending $10k and memorizing a bunch of questions. Doesn’t know a damn
thing and I end up explaining things to him quite frequently. I get 4-5 AIM
messages from him a day asking how to do something. Meanwhile, my crappy little
project that I took out of desperation ends tomorrow and I’ll be back on the
street looking for another before the bills get too deep. I have worked with
quite a few people, who had the same certifications as I, if not more, and many
of them really didn’t deserve the certifications they had, IMHO. Now these
individuals also have a negative effect on the industry for it’s difficult for
them in many cases to maintain positions for long term. They get dumped back
out onto the job market and as time progresses desperation lowers their
standards. They take positions at a lower than normal rate to pay their bills.
That drives the average salaries for those positions down which in turn has an
effect on employees who have the skills. They get “Downsized” in “Cost-cutting
Measures” because there are a ton of “Certified” people out there who are
willing to do the same job for less money. And then the cycle repeats. It’s
one of the reason the industry is so Contractor/Consultant based. Having a
department of disposable employees helps with the bottom line when they are
cutting costs.

Walt
http://www.Walt-n-Ingrid.Com