RE: 318 vs 390 power

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 02:22:54 EST

All things being equal, more cubes + longer stroke = more power...but most
importantly for a daily driver, more torque. If you're not going to race
this thing then build whichever engine for torque instead of high rpm power.
Consider your driving habits and if you seldom have the room to wind it out
through the gears, you will be much happier with lower rpm torque.

You didn't mention what gear ratio you have but something in the 3.90 - 4.30
range will also get you moving a lot quicker. A 2400 stall converter would
also be nice.

I can give you a couple pieces of advice from personal experience. That RT
cam you have is no great improvement even in a 318 (too mild). The RT
heads are gonna hurt a 318 and are unnecessary even on a 390 if your goal is
low to mid range torque. You can do much better with a mildly ported stock
head with 1.97 intake valves for a lot less money. The RT heads simply have
ports too large for a relatively low rpm street engine. I've encountered
several 360 and 408 Daks that can't come close to the performance of my 318.
Check it out at the dragtruk link in my sig. It's all in the combination
and bigger done wrong isn't always better.

Whichever engine you ultimately decide to build, it would be wise to discuss
your combination and goals with a cam manufacturer (not just a vendor)
before choosing the cam and rocker ratio. As for superchargers...I have a
friend with a Vortec blown 318 that runs mid-12's @ 110 and it's also
awesome on the street. HTH.

RayB