Re: P1281..P0442

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Wed Dec 22 2004 - 20:17:58 EST

Hey Jon-boy!

<snip> You might want to try this... Disconnect the negative battery
 cable, turn the key to start and hold it there for a few seconds,
 reconnect, and verify that the MIL is out. Drive it around a bit
 and see how long the codes take to come back. Assuming that they
 don't come back within an hour or so, do the same thing right
 before the inspection. :-)

   (Make sure the truck is fully warmed up before or on the way to the
 inspection station, then do the "disconnect battery code reset" thing,
 either just after you pull into the parking lot, or stop a couple hundred
 feet away from the inspection station to do it, then drive in if you
 think it will look suspicious for you to be fiddling under the hood
 right before your inspection.)

   At least that will ensure there is no MIL lit when the tech goes to
 inspect the truck. I'm not sure how long the evap code would take to
 come back (I'm not sure how often it is monitored), but with a fully
 warmed up truck, I wouldn't expect to see the t-stat code pop up
 again.

   Anyway, the above won't actually address the problems, but may be
 enough to get you through the inspection. (What can I say, I enjoy
 dreaming up ways to beat the system...) ;-) Speaking of which, I
 usually wait until my inspection has actually expired to get it
 inspected, this way I get 13 months for the price of 12. ;-)<snip>

You are devious, my friend! I will give it a shot...I called another
inspection station
- about 2 miles from here - & I'm gonna clear the codes & drive her over
there..
Hopefully that'll get me thru the inspection...
I'll try to make it til spring when the weather has warmed up & I can attack
her!
Thanx...

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
Averill Park, NY