RE: P1281..P0442

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (fasstdak@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 21:16:39 EST

On the P1281, could be possible that the t'stat is stuck open.

On the P0442, check the lines at the evap canister, the lines under the hood
(near the green test port), and the gas cap o-ring. Those the the most
common spots where you'll get the 442 code. If you can, try to borrow a
scanner and find out how many key-cycles and/or minutes the code has been
present. This will tell you how long and roughly a time frame on when it
first happened. BTW: Locking gas caps are also known for throwing this
code as they don't always seal properly.

Last place to look would be at the NVLD (Natural Vacuum Leak Detection pump)
next to the EVAP canister. There's an o-ring that does leak after a
while...but you'd probably also have a P0440 code.

- Bernd