Re: Mopar PCM question

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 24 2004 - 09:22:45 EST

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:32:49 -0500, Eric Luce <ontheluce@adelphia.net> wrote:

> HI. I am curious about something. What performance differences would there
> be between using the Mopar permance PCM vs. using the Jet Performance
> "module" (which I currently use) ?? Don't they use a different means of
> accomplishing the same thing ??

The Mopar PCM has a "performance" program built in. The JET chip
modifies the signals that the PCM gets, tricking it. After a while,
the PCM will learn what the JET chip is doing, and re-tune itself to
compensate, removing most of the performance. Then you'll need to
reset the PCM back to factory defaults to regain the JET benefits.

> Also, would anyone know if a '98
> performance PCM is the same thing as one for a '99, all other things being
> equal (equipment wise) ???

Check the part numbers. I've seen different P/Ns for most
years/drivetrains. Plugging a '98 isn't guaranteed to work on a '99,
and if your state inspection checks CARB numbers, emissions, etc. you
may get nailed.