Re: Question of Legality in USA, Blue and Amber Rotating Beacon Lights Mounted on Roof of Dakota 4X4, Ontario Canada Truck

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Jan 03 2005 - 22:42:13 EST

"JAMES KNOX" <knox.james@sympatico.ca> wrote:

: I'm using my 91 Dak 4X4 as a working truck for snow removal work.

: In Canada a Blue Beacon is designated for Snow Removal and Low Visability
: Airport Operations.
: The Amber Beacon is Caution and Location.

: I have Blue and Amber on the Dak.

: If I cross the border into NY, PENN, OHIO ect am I required to remove the
: blue ? As it appears to me that the Police use Blue in the USA.

: In Canada
: Red Police/ Emergency
: Green & Red Fire
: Blue Snow Operations
: Purple Funeral
: Amber Caution and Location

   I don't know how it works in other states, but as Bob already
mentioned earlier in this thread, NY uses blue for volunteer
fire/paramedic, and amber is a general catch-all "caution".
Amber is what is used here in NY for snow plowing, towing, etc.
You will definitely be OK leaving the amber light in place, and
I suspect you would be OK leaving the blue one in place, as long
as you do not actually use it on (or near) the highway. As
Andy cautioned though, if the blue light is easily removable,
it might be worthwhile to just pull it off if coming across
the border just to avoid any potential hassle at the crossing
itself. Or, just duct tape a black plastic bag over it or
something if its a hassle to remove.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'