Re: It's a big dent!

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 17:28:55 EST

Mike, when they loaded and unloaded the truck, did they have the keys?

I’ve been looking at this for a little while and I think I know how that could
have happened.

When they don’t have the keys, I’ve seen some guys who will drag a vehicle up
onto a flatbed by the front and drag the rear wheels up just a few inches from
the rear of the flatbed. When they go to unload it, they slide the bed back
some and fully tilt it up. Then with the rear edge of the bed just off the
ground and fully tilted, they quickly jerk the flatbed back and fourth with the
hydraulic levers while giving some slack on the winch cable. The weight of the
vehicle on the bed will cause the rear tires to slide on the metal, off the
edge of the bed and onto the ground. When the rear tires are on the ground,
they slide the flatbed forward until the rear edge is about halfway under the
vehicle’s body while slowly letting out on the winch cable. They then drop the
bed down almost level. As the flatbed drops down level, its rear edge will come
into contact with the loaded vehicle’s undercarriage, lifting it’s rear wheels
off the ground. Then they slide the bed all the way back and tilt it up to set
the rear wheels on the ground further back. They unhook the V-chain from the
front and roll the flatbed forward, out from under the vehicle. I would bet he
did this and when he lifted the rear wheels of your truck off the ground, the
rear of the bed was against the drive shaft. That’s how he dented it.

Walt