Re: OT: Dodge Charger

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 02:12:11 EST

On Jan 10, 2005, at 23:27, TerribleTom wrote:

> GTO = rebadged Aussie Holden Monero = SUCKS. The guys at work all
> like the GTO - I think its a pile.
>
> Make it too modern and not retro enough - (like the GTO and now the
> charger) and you loose the diehard follower segment.

the current Ponti Goat isn't trying to be retro at all. it's got
almost the same lines as the previous generation Monte Carlo (how's
that for another bastardized name plate? Where's my '89 GNX
anyway...). That's lifting the name for a similar principle as the
original - not the same thing as the Charger seems to be trying and
that the Mustang is doing and that the Thunderbird utterly failed at
(my opinion isn't quite that simple on the Tbird, but I do hate it).

The Holden Monaro [sic]/ Pontiac GTO is a rather pedestrian looking
coupe with a corvette engine and handling to match it. I haven't
driven one, but I don't dislike the look personally, and if it can make
Jeremey on Top Gear* understand the appeal of the Colonial versions of
raw horsepower (an M5 or SL55 or 575 is rather a completely different
take on power than a GTO or Mustang or Corvette), it's something
special enough to take note of.

Just why is it a pile, anyway? Do Holdens automatically suck for some
reason I don't know? Do GMs automatically suck for some reason I
completely understand and usually agree with?

The GTO is definitely a car I'd look at now if I was interested in
blending in with the crowd, and having fun on the side. Sorta like a
stealthy 'Vette that you might have a chance of actually getting more
than a toothbrush and change of clothes in the trunk. Oh yeah, and it
seats four. Charger competition, anyone? Oh, but it's a coupe, not a
sedan. Sorry Dodge, I guess that might be why I like it better than
the Charger (conceptually speaking since I haven't driven either). As
the twentysomething I am, I like two doors better than four because I'm
still flexible enough to care more about the look of the car than the
ease of in/egress of the back seats.

*very good Brit car show, and also a magazine - much like our Motor
Trend or Car & Driver. A link to a quick synopsis of, and opportunity
to download the episode in question:
<http://gear.viper007bond.com/downloads.php?display=11>

--
Mike Maskalans   <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'98 Dakota SLT 318 4x4                    SFA & 35s