Re: OT: Dodge Charger

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 13:20:20 EST

In article <BAY17-F24450E8F1F5C3B7C9A42E697890@phx.gbl>,
roadking_dakota@hotmail.com ("Zachary Burcham") writes:

> And someone commented on how the Vette vs Viper power struggle was going on,
> that's gonna get interesting because there are reported to be 3 count them 3
> Vette Models, base 400 hp, Z06 with 500 hp and one deemed the "Blue Devil"
> with a S/C and 600 Hp, where's the Viper then? Catchin' up, that's where.

Well the Viper has had 500HP for a couple of years now and the Z06 isn't going
to be available until 2006 at which time the new Viper Coupe will be released
and it's not known what it will have for HP. The super charged vette is a tuner
car and there has since almost the inception of the Viper been turbo and
supercharged versions pushing 600-700HP being sold by tuners. So on a horse
power comparison the vette is still trying to catch up.

> I'll end on this, I can find a GTO in a crowd from a 1/2 mile away if I'm
> looking, 1/4 mile away if I'm not. It has enough of Pontiac's styling that
> I know it's a Pontiac but I never mistake it for a Grand Prix or Grand Am.

That's interesting! I have been going by a new GTO on the way to/from work for
the past few months and I pass within 10 feet of it, everytime I see it I have
to look for the GTO badge on the side to know for sure that it's not a Grand Am
coupe. If it wasn't for the Pontiac signature grill I wouldn't even look twice
at the car it's so generic looking.

> But the first time I saw a Viper SRT-10 on the road, from 1/4 mile, I though
> it was a Stratus Coupe. I'd rather pay 35K for a car that's easily
> identified from a distance than 83K for a Viper powered Stratus. I love
> both cars, so don't get me wrong, but sometimes our brand loyalties skew our
> view.

You gotta be kidding me!! The Viper (coupe or roadster) is one of the most
distintive looking cars on the road. Other than the Dodge signature cross hair
grill there isn't one line in the car that remotely resembles a Stratus Coupe /
Avenger.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4