RE: DML Digest V5 #2186

From: Zachary Burcham (roadking_dakota@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 06:53:59 EST

>I'll end on this, I can find a GTO in a crowd from a 1/2 mile away if I'm
>looking, 1/4 mile away if I'm not. It has enough of Pontiac's styling that
>I know it's a Pontiac but I never mistake it for a Grand Prix or Grand Am.

That's interesting! I have been going by a new GTO on the way to/from work
for
the past few months and I pass within 10 feet of it, everytime I see it I
have
to look for the GTO badge on the side to know for sure that it's not a Grand
Am
coupe. If it wasn't for the Pontiac signature grill I wouldn't even look
twice
at the car it's so generic looking.

>But the first time I saw a Viper SRT-10 on the road, from 1/4 mile, I
>though it was a Stratus Coupe. I'd rather pay 35K for a car that's easily
>identified from a distance than 83K for a Viper powered Stratus. I love
>both cars, so don't get me wrong, but sometimes our brand loyalties skew
>our view.

You gotta be kidding me!! The Viper (coupe or roadster) is one of the most
distintive looking cars on the road. Other than the Dodge signature cross
hair
grill there isn't one line in the car that remotely resembles a Stratus
Coupe /
Avenger.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4

I think they share a headlight profile and design, overall lines are similar
and if you can just ride height in inches from a long distance you have
better vision than me. :) And if it affects it, the Viper was black, but
they do share a lot,

And yes I can peg a GTO from a distance and I would argue that your dislike
and my enthusiasm for it account for my ability to see one from a distance
while you ignore it till you see the badge. I walked out of a restaurant
last night and just saw the front half of the hood and fenders and knew what
it was.

Zach Burcham
92dakotahd

http://www.dodge.com/nav/photo/stratus_coupe_sxt_1_main.jpg