Re: 92 dak 318 rough idle and hesitates HELP

From: kvmac45@comcast.net
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 10:26:53 EST

In article <BAY12-F22466574596A998B599EEBC7890@phx.gbl>, wibbyo@hotmail.com
("Ryan Arsenault") writes:

> ok well here is my problem.. i bought this 92 dak... needed lots of work....
> trans i have no idea about... seams to be shifting after i got a kickdown
> cable on it... but the motor seams to be low on power.... sorta misses a bit
> when idleing after it warms up... but if your driving when it shifts into
> another gear it struggles to keep it going unless u tramp down on it then it
> moves.... very strange... i have a 93 dakota 3.9 same type of motor but i
> havent had to mess with it.... but this one is a 318 and i have no idea
> where to start.. i checked the plugs... gaped at 35.... new cap and
> button... have wires ordered and will try them... checked the distributer
> and seams fine.... anyone else have any ideas.... i hooked the egr back
> up.... and checked for some leaks... but cant seam to find any.... the guy
> who owned it before me was sorta a cowboy :S..... if ya know what i mean...
> any ideas at all would help... i am at my end with it :S.... everything else
> seams good just cant get the motor to run really good :S... apparently it
> has less than 200 thousand KMs on it..... so yea... let me know anyone :D..
> Cheers
> PEI canada
> Ryan Arsenault

I have a 92, 190k miles on it right now. Look at the following things:

Intake - blown plenum gasket. If you have a lot of black buildup or oil pooling
in the bottom of the intake, the gasket is blown. The resulting oil leak will
eventually clog injectors and foul spark plugs. With the engine off remove the
aircleaner, open the throttle valves and look inside with a flashlight. It will
be very obvious if it is blown.

Pull your IAC sensor from the back of the throttle body. It may need a good
cleaning. I used carb cleaner on mine, worked fine.

Cat - they will clog up over time. If it is still the original then that is
likely part of the problem. A clogged cat will cause drivability issues at
speed as more air is thrown into the exhaust.

If you hooked the EGR back up, was it originally disconnected? The valve may be
stuck or bad, so a new one is in order.

You probably need a new PCV valve and crankcase breather filter as well if the
previous owner never paid much attention to them. The vacuum hoses may need
replaced too. Mine were still original when I put my M1 on in July. They
cracked off when I went to remove them.

I have a FSM for the 92, if you need me to scan any pages for you let me know
and I will be happy to help.