Re: Jiffy Lube - Stupidity at its finest...

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 07:45:34 EST

Bernd, You know what the root cause is don't you? It's the factory installing
the filter too tight, no excuse for what Jiffy Lube did but if the filter was
installed properly at the factory it wouldn't have happened.

Every new car I have purchased over the past 30 years the factory filter was a
bear to get off. The worst was my first 2.2 turbo Dayton in 85 when I wound up
tearing the can off the base and using a cold chisel to split the base.
Following the filter installation instructions of coating the gasket with oil,
spinning it on to the gasket touches and then 1/4 turn more has never resulted
in a leak on one of my vehicles and can be removed by hand providing it's not
in some awkward position.

Now onto my Jiffy Lube horror story! :) 20 years ago my roommate purchased his
first new car and took it to Jiffy Lube (may have been one of the other chains,
don't remeber for sure). At 1000 miles he brought it for it's first oil change.
When the tech was finished he reached in through the open window to start the
car. Problem was the car was a manual, it was in gear, it started launch off
the rack and through the back door of the lub shop. The door was open about
three feet so the bottom of the door dragged across the tops of the fenders and
when it got to the hood it bent it back over the roof breaking the windshield
and denting the roof. The lube shop tried to make him go through his insurance
company for repairs and it took the family lawyer getting involved before the
paid for the repairs and kept his insurance company out of the mix. Quite a way
to start the ownership of your first new car.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4