Re: Re: 2006 National DML Meet - VOTING IS OPEN!

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 20:18:12 EST

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> "Josh Battles" <josh@omg-stfu.com> wrote:
>
> : That's always been one of my most favorite paintball games. I think we
> : should all bring our paint markers this year and get a game going in the
> : woods at Jon's. The paint is biodegradable....
>

> I know we've talked about this in the past, but it hasn't come to
> be yet; it would be pretty cool. Although the BBQ is probably the only
> time all year I'd get to play, I might be able to be convinced to
> go out and buy a gun (or a marker or whatever they call them). :-)
> The only thing though is that when playing games of this type (video
> games, etc.) my favorite role/technique is sniper. I'm not sure what
> that says about my psychological makeup, ;-) but I love to blend into
> the shadows; nothing like a head shot on some unsuspecting sap. ;-)
> Anyway, I'm not even sure if that is possible in paintball. Hmmm, I
> wonder what it would take to build a custom sniper rifle, possibly even
> with a nice long rifled barrel, and a heck of a lot of pressure to really
> reach out and touch someone. :-) Speaking of custom paintball guns,
> wasn't Barry building a gattling gun? I want to be on his team! ;-)

IIRC, they have sniper ones you can buy but they're cost prohibitive.
I've got a Pirhana STS 2k3 tournament gun that's really nice. I just
need to rebuild if before the BBQ and get some CO2. I think it'd be
really cool if we could set this up this year. The only issue I can
think of would be running out of CO2, but my tank is large enough where
it'll last a solid 8 hours of playtime easily so I guess I'm good.

> What might be a cool twist is to add some GPS technology into
> the mix... Instead of a known location for the "flag", each team
> would choose a location and record the coordinates. The teams start
> out not knowing where the other team's flag is, then before the
> game starts, the teams swap coordinates. (Via radio maybe, so both
> teams are already out in the field, and thus no clues would be
> given to the other team by watching to see which way they go? The
> procedure would be something like 10-15 mins to plant the flag,
> then swap the coordinates, after which each team has 5 mins to input
> the coordinates, plan out a strategy, then its game on...) Anyhoo,
> just a thought. :-)

This is a _really_ sweet idea, it might make the game a little more
challenging. We'd still need vague maps of the property though just so
we would be able to find our way back to base camp after we'd been
eliminated. Also, having the different teams use different colors of
paint might be a good idea so that you can tell if you were offed by a
friendly and pick him off later.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L