Re: Re: 2006 National DML Meet - VOTING IS OPEN!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 18:57:24 EST

"Josh Battles" <josh@omg-stfu.com> wrote:
: <jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote in message
:> I was thinking of something with a 3-4' barrel and some insane
:> pressure to really be able to reach out. (Obviously you'd have to
:> be careful not to shoot someone short range with it.) ;-)

: I don't know if you've ever been hit by a paintball, but even at 25 feet
: they'll leave a welt (or bruise) and they really hurt.

  That would be a negative - I'm a paintball newbie. :-) Guess I'll
just go ahead and scrap those plans then and stick to the standard
velocity stuff. :-)

[...]
: One thing that we've not discussed yet is safety. In order to play there
: needs to be groundrules about gun handling and all that good stuff. You've
: got to have an approved mask that covers your whole face as well as ears.
: If you get hit in the ear unprotected with a paintball, you're deaf in that
: ear. There's no question about it. Same goes for eyes, you get hit in the
: eye without goggles, your eye will burst and you're done. I've seen people
: get skimmed by a paintball on their face (obviously they weren't wearing a
: mask) and it'll rip the skin right off of you. I know a guy that his a
: mustache now for that very reason - to cover up a rediculous scar from a
: paintball. Barrell plugs/sleeves are very important as well, this way if
: you accidentally discharge your weapon in the "safe area" where people
: aren't wearing a mask, you won't hurt anyone. Where we played there was a
: 3-strikes policy. First and second strike caused you to miss 2 games, third
: strike and you were done for the day. Safety gear is pretty inexpensive and
: can usually be obtained for < $50 at any larger sporting goods store. I
: might also suggest wearing a cup... It's saved me from certain death a few
: times and now I won't play without one. Granted, you try not to aim there
: but paintballs tend to drift in the air pretty good.....

   Good point, and those are things I hadn't fully considered.
Never having done it before, I didn't realize the potential for
injury was that high. Safety equipment sounds like a good idea.
(Hmmm, I'll be in the back of Mike's SFA Dak shooting out of
gunslits in the shell while he drives OVER the flag; rest've you
guys are on your own!) ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'