Re: Re: DML Paintball

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 21:39:44 EST

"Josh Battles" <josh@omg-stfu.com> wrote:
: ""Wayne Allewelt"" <wallewelt@mai-aec.com> wrote in message
: news:200502161538.j1GFcgU13046@bent.twistedbits.net...
:>
:> > > Ok, so you're thinking maybe just hooking the tanks up directly
:> > > and slowly opening up the main tank then shut it off once the blowoff
:> > > valve on the small tank opens? Sounds like that could work. Or,
:> > > assuming the threads are the same as for a CO2 tank, I'm sure I could
:> > > scare up an acetelyne/oxygen regulator which might do the trick?
:> >
:> > That might be possible. I'll shoot an email to my friend (he's a
:> > [paintball]gunsmith) and see what he's got to say about it.
:> >
:>
:>
:> Actually on the co2 tanks for the guns its not a blowoff valve. It is
:> actually a burst disk. It is designed to fail at a preset pressure. Once
: it
:> blows you have to replace it. When using CO2 they weigh the bottle empty,
:> then set the scale to zero on the empty bottle then add CO2 till the
: correct
:> weight is reached.

: I've never had mine fail, i guess it's good to know that it's a burst disc
: and not a blowoff type. That answers that question.

   Yep, definitely good to know - thanks, Wayne! I had to run into town
today so when I was there, I took a look at Wal-Mart's (rather small) paintball
section. I see you can buy replacement "burst discs" (I forget what they
called them in the store) for about $5. With the "valve" out of the bottle,
you can see that its just got a piece of foil or something over it, so
yeah, definitely a one time use there. I wonder why they don't just use
a pop safety valve? They aren't too much more expensive. Only thing I
can think of is perhaps its a pressure issue - most inexpensive ($5-8) safety
valves I have seen max out about 250psi, though in the $15 range I have seen
them up to 600psi. Does anyone know what pressure these paintball bottles
are rated for? I looked at several in the store, and they all had lots
of warnings about not to over-pressurize them but not a single one said
WHAT the proper pressure WAS! Argh.

   Regarding filling them here at DML HQ, I do have an electronic postal
scale with a tare feature that will go up to about 30lbs, so if filling
them by weight instead of pressure is the way to go, we can do that too. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'