Re: 100k = timing chain?

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Thu Feb 24 2005 - 09:14:24 EST

The chain will get quite noisey before it fails so you do have warning. Also,
the most common failure mechanism is the chain stretches to the point that it
wears the teeth on the gears excessively which allows the chain to jump timing.
When this happens, most often when you go to start the engine, the engine just
won't run. Somone correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know the 3.9/5.2/5.9
are not interference engines so there will be no danger of crashing valves into
pistons.

Also, you can check for excessive wear without taking the engine apart, I
detailed that in a previous post.

FWIW, I have never seen a broken timing chain on an overhead valve V engine.
Certainly lots of jumped chains but never one that actually boke. Quite sure
it's happened but I would say it's pretty rare.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4