Re: 100k = timing chain?

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2005 - 09:38:46 EST

<david.clement@verizon.net> wrote in message

> The chain will get quite noisey before it fails so you do have warning.
Also,

Yes, yes it does. It'll sound like dropping marbles into a metal pan.

> FWIW, I have never seen a broken timing chain on an overhead valve V
engine.
> Certainly lots of jumped chains but never one that actually boke. Quite
sure
> it's happened but I would say it's pretty rare.

I had one snap on the old winter beater Bonneville I used to have. The GM
3800 V6 is a non-interferance motor though, so I was fine. The only reason
it actually snapped is because I had bought the car with the chain making a
rediculous amount of noise and then neglected to repair it, believeing that
I could make it all winter before it snapped. I had the car 20k miles
before it let go.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L