Re: Engine Lifting

From: Gary Hedlin (garyhedlin@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 22:22:30 EST

On 2/28/05 7:43 AM, in article 200502281341.j1SDf9A5028113@otecom.net, "Bill
Day" <billday@comwares.net> wrote:

> Guess I have been following posts here lately making the move off of winders
> and havent had much time for emial.. Did you loose your 3.9mag?
>
> When I lost mine and had it at the stealer, none of the cranks, MaMopars,
> aftermarkets would fint yet allt he number ran good... I ended up with a
> short block from Marshall Motors.
>
> Hope this rambling was pertinent to your problem

I couldn't say I lost my 3.9, but I was unhappy enough with the performance
(and the oil consumption) of it to just tear it out and start over.

I took it to a machine shop today, one far far away from where I live, just
to have it checked out. The actuual block checked out, and will be honed
and re-ringed. The heads on the other hand are another issue. There were 3
valve seals leaking, and when they were disassembled we found 2 guides
cracked. Luckaly I have another set I can use, so those will go on.

Most shocking of all was his estimate on the cost of the work. For the
parts and labor of the honing, re-ringing, installing new bearings, timing
chain, and assembly of the engine came to $300. Not to bad in my book.

So now the block, oil pan, intake manifold, and a few other things are going
to the powder coat shop whenever I find the time to get up there! :)

--

Gary Hedlin www.garyhedlin.com 2005 Dakota SLT CC 4.7 5spd 1998 Dakota Sport RC 3.9