Re: Untitled

From: Gary Hedlin (garyhedlin@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 03:18:48 EST

Will,

Welcome To the DML! :) You've definitely come to the right place with your
questions!

On any rebuild, the first question is usually "what condition is the engine
in now?". If you're rebuilding it just to avoid trouble down the road,
you'll probably pay less than if you got some serious problems now.
Sometimes you can get away with honing the cylinders and putting in new
rings, bearings, oil pump, cam, lifters, timing chain, and water pump and be
set for 100k. But most of the time you'll need to bore the block, which
means new pistons in addition to the above list.

As far as performance goes, that's where the big $ comes in. If you were
going to do anything, a higher lift cam would be a must. But then to fully
take advantage of the cam you'ld need ported heads, an M1 Intake manifold,
ported Throttle body, and headers. You could also go with a stroker crank
or higher compression pistons. The list goes on and on.....

Really what you need to think of is what you're doing with the truck. If
you just use it as your daily driver, you'll probably be better off with a
basic rebuild. But if you go to a drag strip often and think your truck is
only as good as it is fast, then adding some performance items is in your
future.

Theres a trade off between performance and having cash in your wallet. Me
personally, I like the cash! :)

--

Gary Hedlin www.garyhedlin.com 2005 Dakota SLT CC 4.7 5spd 1998 Dakota Sport RC 3.9